In 1969 John Avery Lomax (1907-1974) sat down in his Houston, Texas home with a cassette deck and recorded about 160 of his favorite songs winnowed from 60 years of hearing them, and at least from the 1930s on, singing them.
This disc stands as a time capsule of this Texas folksinger's 1950s and 60s repertoire.
'When he sang, my father had a true gusto for the song that I didn't believe I ever saw anyone else equal. He could hold the attention of an audience by himself - no guitar, no props - for an hour or more' ~ Joseph Lomax
- Buffalo Skinners
- Intro - Git Along Little Dogies
- Git Along Little Dogies
- Intro - Grey Goose
- Grey Goose
- Intro - Roosters Crow at Midnight
- Roosters Crow at Midnight
- Ain't No More Cane on This Brazos
- Tin Maker Man
- Intro - Ballad of Amy Mcpherson
- Ballad of Amy Mcpherson
- Intro - Frankie and Albert
- Frankie and Albert
- Hallelujah, I'm a Bum
- The Alamo Song
- Intro - Bring Me a Little Water, Sylvie
- Bring Me a Little Water
- Intro - The Factory Girl
- The Factory Girl
- The Rattlesnake Song
- Intro - Ballad of Bobby Kennedy
- Ballad of Bobby Kennedy
- The Worms Crawl In
- Intro - Change the Name of Arkansas
- Change the Name of Arkansas
Folk - John A Lomax Jr.
- Artist: Lomax, John A Jr.
- Product Code: 721981711005
- Availability: Stock Available
Tags: Folk John Lomax